Subject: bug#28605: 26.0.60; Part of leftmost character hidden

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 11:35:05 +0200

> OK. The best course of action is then probably not to touch the
 > existing adjustments, and not to add any similar ones for the
 > horizontal case.

Lars already touched them and IIUC provoked this bug.

 >>> That code was added in commit c0055ff5b03c9121ab5bf752496b09416f0f0a7d
 >>> which is quite old,
 >>
 >> ... 2015 rather strikes me as "fairly recent" ...
 >>
 >
 > Oops, I think I looked at the date on the wrong commit, I thought I'd
 > seen 2010.

OTOH this means that the code was not tested very intensively and Jan
didn't have much time left to improve it.

 >>> I suspect it did no real harm even though oldx
 >>> tends to end up negative, possibly x_clear_area does some kind of
 >>> clipping.
 >>
 >> In my experience, X silently swallows anything that happens outside the
 >> frame.  GTK can be much more picky in this regard, especially when
 >> trying to draw something outside a parent widget.  But the corresponding
 >> error messages are usually a pain to read.
 >
 > Yet another reason not to disturb the status quo.

To be on the safe side, we probably should leave the non-scaling parts
alone.  For the scaling parts do whatever you consider appropriate.  If
it fixes the behavior for Ola, we should install it and wait for
complaints.

martin