Subject: Re: bug#28605: 26.0.60; Part of leftmost character hidden

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 10:52:37 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The horizontal fix is somewhat cargo-culted from the vertical case,
>> so I'm not 100% sure that this hunk is correct (why is it only
>> adjusting the width and the x position? Should it adjust the height/y
>> for the horizontal case?):
>>
>> +       {
>> +         /* Clear under old scroll bar position.  */
>> +         oldw += (scale - 1) * oldw;
>> +         oldx -= (scale - 1) * oldw;
>> +         x_clear_area (f, oldx, oldy, oldw, oldh);
>> +       }
>>
>
> The entire horizontal scroll bar code has been cargo-culted from the
> vertical one so any adjustments should probably go the same way.

It doesn't seem to make any visual difference, but if eg oldx == 0,
and oldw > 0, oldx will end up negative. That makes me uncomfortable
:-)

>> I sent off a request to [email-masked] more than a month ago, and have
>> heard nothing back (and have also pinged the copyright clerk at the
>> FSF). Help?
>
> It's relieving that you have sent a request already.  Unfortunately it
> seems normal that this process takes a month at least.  Let's wait for
> two more weeks and ask Richard if nothing happens till then - maybe he
> can help us speed things up.

OK, we'll wait some more.

>> False alarm. Looks like my window manager is not giving Emacs the
>> correct height when I maximize the frame, so the window behind it was
>> showing through (although I guess that could also be an Emacs bug,
>> just not related to this one, since it happens without scroll bars).
>
> I'm quite confident that setting ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ to t will fix
> that.  Some window managers are very strict in the sense that if an
> application prefers frames getting resized character-wise, that wish
> prevails over the desire to maximize frames to the size of the screen.

Hmm, I'm not sure that helps. 'toggle-frame-fullscreen' does the
correct thing, but using the maximize control in the title-bar doesn't
(but that also doesn't give me proper full screen, just full screen
minus the widget bar along the bottom of the display). I think we can
safely ignore this one and say it's my local problem.

Robert