Subject: Re: bug#28605: 26.0.60; Part of leftmost character hidden

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 10:18:08 +0200

> The horizontal fix is somewhat cargo-culted from the vertical case,
 > so I'm not 100% sure that this hunk is correct (why is it only
 > adjusting the width and the x position? Should it adjust the height/y
 > for the horizontal case?):
 >
 > +       {
 > +         /* Clear under old scroll bar position.  */
 > +         oldw += (scale - 1) * oldw;
 > +         oldx -= (scale - 1) * oldw;
 > +         x_clear_area (f, oldx, oldy, oldw, oldh);
 > +       }
 >

The entire horizontal scroll bar code has been cargo-culted from the
vertical one so any adjustments should probably go the same way.

 > I sent off a request to [email-masked] more than a month ago, and have
 > heard nothing back (and have also pinged the copyright clerk at the
 > FSF). Help?

It's relieving that you have sent a request already.  Unfortunately it
seems normal that this process takes a month at least.  Let's wait for
two more weeks and ask Richard if nothing happens till then - maybe he
can help us speed things up.

 > False alarm. Looks like my window manager is not giving Emacs the
 > correct height when I maximize the frame, so the window behind it was
 > showing through (although I guess that could also be an Emacs bug,
 > just not related to this one, since it happens without scroll bars).

I'm quite confident that setting ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ to t will fix
that.  Some window managers are very strict in the sense that if an
application prefers frames getting resized character-wise, that wish
prevails over the desire to maximize frames to the size of the screen.

martin