Subject: Re: bug#28605: 26.0.60; Part of leftmost character hidden

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 12:01:28 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I've retested with scroll bars turned off, that doesn't make any
>> difference, the frame height still shrinks.
>
> So for the moment we can omit scroll bars as the lone culprit.  They are
> too complicated - theme based size, minimum size constraints - anyway.

I think it's the menu-bar, see below

> Anyway, the strategy now seems to be to switch off _everything_ toolkit
> related (scroll bar, menu bar, tool bar and tooltips) and check whether
> the problem persists.  If it does, something very fundamental is broken
> and we at least know from where to start.  If it doesn't, then add each
> of these but never two at the same time.  This should give as a next
> clue.

(tool-bar-mode 0)
(scroll-bar-mode 0)
(tooltip-mode 0)
(menu-bar-mode 0)

(set-frame-parameter nil 'width (+ (frame-parameter nil 'width) 5))
(set-frame-parameter nil 'width (- (frame-parameter nil 'width) 5))

=> frame cycles back to same size

(menu-bar-mode 1)

(set-frame-parameter nil 'width (+ (frame-parameter nil 'width) 5))
(set-frame-parameter nil 'width (- (frame-parameter nil 'width) 5))

=> frame height shrinks

Robert