Subject: Re: bug#28605: 26.0.60; Part of leftmost character hidden

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 15:41:05 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Toggling the menu bar or the tool bar on/off shows the same type of
>> effects as the scroll bars. Toggling the fringe-mode on/off *always*
>> shrinks both the height and width.
>
> I'm afraid you didn't test these with scroll bars turned off.  So it's
> easily possible that scroll bar calculations overshadow the frame size
> adjustments we do for handling the above.  Please try with scroll bars
> turned off before you test these.

I've retested with scroll bars turned off, that doesn't make any
difference, the frame height still shrinks.

> One thing you could check with scroll bars on is whether changing the
> frame width (or height) and undoing that gets us back the initial size.
> For example, does evaluating the following forms
>
> (set-frame-parameter nil 'width (+ (frame-parameter nil 'width) 5))
> (set-frame-parameter nil 'width (- (frame-parameter nil 'width) 5))
>
> in sequence result in a frame of the same size?

Now that's weird. That gets me back to a frame of the same *width*,
but each invocation of set-frame-parameter reduces the *height*, and
gives me:

(emacs:24843): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation:
assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

when I reduce the width (with or without scroll bars). Are we back at
"It's a GTK bug"?

Robert