Subject: bug#28605: 26.0.60; Part of leftmost character hidden

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:32:19 +0200

> That makes no difference. As far as I can tell from reading
 > configure.ac, xaw3d is only checked for when using the Lucid toolkit:
 >
 > if test x"${USE_X_TOOLKIT}" = xmaybe || test x"${USE_X_TOOLKIT}" = xLUCID; then
 >    if test "$with_xaw3d" != no; then
 >      AC_CACHE_VAL(emacs_cv_xaw3d,

You are right.  I was misguided by the snippet below

dnl Use toolkit scroll bars if configured for GTK or X toolkit and either
dnl using Motif or Xaw3d is available, and unless
dnl --with-toolkit-scroll-bars=no was specified.

AH_TEMPLATE(USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS,
	    [Define to 1 if we should use toolkit scroll bars.])dnl
USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS=no
if test "${with_toolkit_scroll_bars}" != "no"; then
   if test "${USE_X_TOOLKIT}" != "none"; then
     if test "${USE_X_TOOLKIT}" = "MOTIF"; then
       AC_DEFINE(USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS)
       HAVE_XAW3D=no
       USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS=yes
     elif test "${HAVE_XAW3D}" = "yes" || test "${USE_X_TOOLKIT}" = "LUCID"; then
       AC_DEFINE(USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS)
       USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS=yes
     fi
   elif test "${HAVE_GTK}" = "yes"; then
     AC_DEFINE(USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS)
     USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS=yes

which seems to indicate that we check _separately_ for either XAW3D or
Lucid presence before we check for GTK.  But apparently that only serves
to set USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS.  Since HAVE_XAW3D is set only in
conjunction with USE_X_TOOLKIT=LUCID, that separate HAVE_XAW3D check
doesn't make sense.

In any case, checking that a GTK build without toolkit scroll bars
handles scaling should have proven that a hypothetical GTK/XAW3D build
should succeed as well.  So many thanks for doing that.

Sorry for having you tormented with this matter, martin