Subject: bug#28605: 26.0.60; Part of leftmost character hidden

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 10:36:02 +0200

> It does seem the fringe is missing, but there is some other vertical bar
 > of empty space present.

In fact, it appears so from the screenshot you sent.

 > Turning off the scroll bar (scrollbar-mode nil) makes the fringe appear,
 > and the characters are fully visible.

 From earlier reports, this seems to connect the problem to scaling.  To
make sure: You do not observe anything the like with scaling turned off?

 > Switching scroll bars off and from left to right with several
 > side-by-side windows
 >   shows that it is all window edges that are next to a scroll bar that
 > are affected.

You mean that the scroll bar from the window on the left affects the
things displayed in the window on the right?  We clear the background of
the scroll bars here and there.  Can you build Emacs yourself?  I could
try to make up a (non-sensical) patch which would turn these clearings
off to find out whether this is indeed the culprit.

 > I'm not sure I did this right; I set the variables with customize and then
 > moved window and frame edges around a bit.
 > Made no difference as far as I can tell.

OK.  I'm afraid that we sometimes don't draw things correctly on screen
with scaling turned on.  Maybe it's just x_fill_rectangle and/or
x_clear_area which are incompatible with GTK's ideas of scaling.

Two additional things you could try in this context: Can your turn on
window dividers and, independently, horizontal scroll bars (both from
the Options Show/Hide menu) and look whether they cause additional
problems?

martin