Subject: bug#28603: 25.3; Certificate authority on macOS is empty

From: Mark Ferlatte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 22:04:39 -0700

When running (package-refresh-contents) on macOS, MELPA returns a TLS
error. This ended up being due to gnutls-trustfiles not having a working
default entry for macOS. Adding /etc/ssl/cert.pem to gnutls-trustfiles
resolves the issue.

I believe that adding that to the default settings in lisp/net/gnutls.el
would be a helpful change.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21 Version 10.9.5 (Build 13F1911))
of 2017-09-12 built on builder10-9.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: EL

Minor modes in effect:
  rainbow-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  guru-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  prelude-global-mode: t
  prelude-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/ferlatte/.emacs.d/savefile/recentf...done
Loading Prelude’s modules...
Loading /Users/ferlatte/.emacs.d/prelude-modules.el (source)...done
Loading personal configuration files in /Users/ferlatte/.emacs.d/personal...
Loading /Users/ferlatte/.emacs.d/personal/custom.el (source)...done
Loading /Users/ferlatte/.emacs.d/personal/init.el (source)...done
Prelude is ready to do thy bidding, Master ferlatte!
Starting new Ispell process aspell with default dictionary...
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Prelude tip: Press <C-c G> to search in GitHub.

Load-path shadows:
/Users/ferlatte/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-20151028.759/seq hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq
/Users/ferlatte/.emacs.d/elpa/let-alist-1.0.5/let-alist hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow sort editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
company-anaconda anaconda-mode pythonic f python-el-fgallina-expansions
smartparens-python python tramp-sh rainbow-mode rainbow-delimiters
elisp-slime-nav guru-mode init server prelude-yaml prelude-xml
nxml-mode-expansions rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok prelude-scss
prelude-shell sh-script smie executable prelude-scheme geiser
prelude-ruby prelude-python prelude-perl prelude-org prelude-latex
company-auctex yasnippet latex-mode-expansions latex tex-ispell
tex-style tex crm smartparens-latex prelude-js js2-mode-expansions
js2-mode js-mode-expansions smartparens-javascript js
html-mode-expansions smartparens-html sgml-mode cc-mode-expansions
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs prelude-go go-projectile vc-git go-rename go-guru
go-eldoc go-mode url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap find-file ffap
prelude-emacs-lisp prelude-css prelude-common-lisp prelude-lisp
prelude-c prelude-programming flycheck find-func subr-x which-func
prelude-company company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb
company prelude-ido smex flx-ido flx ido-completing-read+ memoize
cus-edit cus-start cus-load prelude-osx exec-path-from-shell
prelude-global-keybindings prelude-editor editorconfig operate-on-number
calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs diff-hl smartrep vc-dir
ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode winner undo-tree diff esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util re-builder whitespace tabify
browse-kill-ring derived midnight ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff dired-x dired anzu avy
projectile grep compile ibuf-ext ibuffer bookmark pp expand-region
text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions expand-region-core
expand-region-custom flyspell ispell rect etags xref project
volatile-highlights hl-line windmove recentf tree-widget wid-edit
savehist saveplace diminish edmacro kmacro smartparens-config
smartparens autorevert filenotify delsel prelude-mode crux ido tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring format-spec imenu-anywhere imenu prelude-core epl ov thingatpt
prelude-ui which-key beacon smart-mode-line advice rich-minority
solarized-light-theme solarized color prelude-custom prelude-packages cl
finder-inf tex-site gh-common gh-profile url-parse auth-source gnus-util
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars s marshal
eieio-compat cl-seq ht json map dash eieio eieio-core cl-macs rx
slime-autoloads info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 764186 258064)
(symbols 48 57619 1)
(miscs 40 94 379)
(strings 32 139301 211185)
(string-bytes 1 4110652)
(vectors 16 104184)
(vector-slots 8 2083378 366691)
(floats 8 9271 8712)
(intervals 56 1092 443)
(buffers 976 17))