Subject: Re: bug#28596: 26.0.60; Gnus gets into an ambiguous plugged/unplugged state that prevents retrieval of news

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 14:03:17 -0400

At 19:50 +0300 on Wednesday 2018-07-04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
>> Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 20:19:24 -0400
>> 
>> I haven't used the emacs-26 branch since 26.1 was released so
>> I cannot answer your question directly.
>
> Is it possible for you to try the branch? I think it's
> important to know whether this problem still exists on the
> release branch.

Certainly. I have just built the emacs-26 branch [1] and I will
use it as my every-day Emacs from now on.

I'm not sure if we'll learn anything though, given that I've
only seen the problem once in 26.1 which I have been running
almost since the day it was announced. But if I do see it again
I will report back of course.

OT: Are the "potential null pointer dereference" warnings
normal? I don't think I've noticed those before today's build.
For example:

  In file included from keyboard.c:25:0:
  keyboard.c: In function ‘reorder_modifiers’:
  lisp.h:377:40: warning: potential null pointer dereference [-Wnull-dereference]
   #define lisp_h_XCDR(c) XCONS (c)->u.s.u.cdr
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~
  lisp.h:1308:10: note: in expansion of macro ‘lisp_h_XCDR’
     return lisp_h_XCDR (c);
            ^~~~~~~~~~~
  lisp.h:376:38: warning: potential null pointer dereference [-Wnull-dereference]
   #define lisp_h_XCAR(c) XCONS (c)->u.s.car
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~
  lisp.h:1302:10: note: in expansion of macro ‘lisp_h_XCAR’
     return lisp_h_XCAR (c);
            ^~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks.

N.

[1] Repository revision: 3bbd4ffc68bcc2b3e003a2179a508b82055ad770