Subject: bug#28596: 26.0.60; [Gnus] Checking mail is no longer reliable and C-g no longer quits

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 13:17:58 -0700

[email-masked] (N. Jackson) writes:

> At 08:20 -0700 on Friday 2017-09-29, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>> Does gnus-group-get-new-news use any of the url-* functions? If
>>> so, perhaps try setting url-asynchronous to nil when fetching
>>> news, to see if that solves the problem. Or maybe even build
>>> Emacs with HAVE_GETADDRINFO_A undefined, and see if that helps.
>>
>> FWIW, I would put money on `nntp-open-connection' being the
>> culprit, specifically the call to `open-network-stream'.
>
> Eli and Eric, than you for these suggestions. I will have a look
> in these directions the next time Gnus "breaks". (I hadn't yet
> read them when I wrote the report below.)

[...]

>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "something.com/443 Name or service not known")
>     signal(error ("something.com/443 Name or service not known"))
>     nnrss-fetch("https://something.com/boards/forums/support.246/index.rss")

My suggestion was probably a red herring after all -- nnrss-fetch
does indeed end up calling url-* functions.

[...]

> However, fetching mail/news was still broken -- no hang this time,
> just nothing seeming to happen. And the *Server* buffer was messed
> up as I previously described:

No clue here, unfortunately.