Subject: Re: [bug#28593] [PATCH] gnu: openfoam: Clean up to reduce closure.

From: Paul Garlick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:32:04 +0100

Hi Dave and Ludo,

> > Sorry, I haven't had a chance to check that yet, and I'm hampered
> > working on openfoam by a small-ish laptop with a slow disk.  I
> > didn't
> > expect the dependency files to be necessary, as they aren't shipped
> > in
> > my rpms for previous versions that people have been using, but I
> > will do
> > the experiment when I can.

Great, thanks.  

One of the nice features of OpenFOAM is that the principles of
operation on laptops is just the same as that on supercomputers.

> Paul seems to have access to a biffy build machine ;-), so maybe you
> can
> update/adjust the patch, Paul?

Well, based on feedback on the existing package definition, I am
starting to think about how best to deal with multiple versions and
simplify the patch step.  There is a new version (5.0) that has been
released that I can work on.  

It is likely to take some time, although it should be quicker to
develop than the original definition.  So, if Dave can take charge of
this finishing patch (#28593) that would work best for me.

In the meantime, I have made an announcement of the package
availability on the CFD Online discusssion forum.  The link is:

https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-news-announcements-other/193
865-openfoam-4-1-packaged-gnu-guix.html

Best regards,

Paul.