Subject: [bug#28593] [PATCH] gnu: openfoam: Clean up to reduce closure.

From: Paul Garlick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 12:06:07 +0100

Hi Ludo and Dave,

> Paul, Dave: what do we do this patch?
> 
>   https://bugs.gnu.org/28593
> 

To recap on my comments on the patch:

i) a debug output would be fine; possibly with an extra comment for
OpenFOAM users to say what it can be used for

ii) deleting object files, to save disk space, under
'platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/src' should also be fine, with the
proviso that the re-compilation process should be checked before
committing.  There is an example procedure, albeit for an earlier
version, given at https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/How_to_add_tempera
ture_to_icoFoam .  A slightly modified procedure should work for
version 4.1.

Dave, can you try this on your patched version?  'wmake' should re-
generate the object files that are needed and produce a new executable.
 Check that there are no instances of errors such as 'file not found'

iii) substitute a more descriptive word than 'junk' for the object
files; 'intermediate' or some such

iv) the source files take up much less space than the object files.  I
wouldn't worry about deleting them.

Best regards,

Paul.