Subject: [bug#28593] [PATCH] gnu: openfoam: Clean up to reduce closure.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 14:33:55 +0200

Dave Love <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Dave Love <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> That’s because we use ‘--strip-debug’ and not ‘--strip-all’ (in some
>>>> cases, the latter breaks binaries in weird ways, hence the conservative
>>>> choice.)
>>>
>>> Is that something Guix-specific?  As far as I know, with rpm and dpkg,
>>> the binaries are always stripped, and I'm not aware of any problem with
>>> that.
>>
>> I’m pretty sure I tried to default to “--strip-all” instead of
>> “--strip-debug” and that some packages had problems with that, I forgot
>> what it was.
>>
>> Perhaps we should try to revisit this.
>
> It seems worth trying.

I take it that you’re volunteering?  :-)

The change is a simple one-liner, but making sure that nothing breaks of
course takes more time (mostly CPU time!).

> By the way, I originally thought that debug info was left in the
> binaries and a debug package separated it.  I think it's unfortunate not
> to have debug info available (the GNU build default).  It presumably
> should be available for something like openfoam, for people to build
> parts of, anyhow.

Quoth
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Installing-Debugging-Files.html>:

     The ‘debug’ output mechanism in Guix is implemented by the
  ‘gnu-build-system’ (*note Build Systems::).  Currently, it is
  opt-in—debugging information is available only for the packages with
  definitions explicitly declaring a ‘debug’ output.  This may be changed
  to opt-out in the future if our build farm servers can handle the load.
  To check whether a package has a ‘debug’ output, use ‘guix package
  --list-available’ (*note Invoking guix package::).

It’s mostly a matter of disk space and bandwidth.

Ludo’.