Subject: 26.0.60; [Emacs manual] Acknowledgements section omits some contributors

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 16:25:31 -0400

This suggestion is about the [@iftex] Acknowlegements Section near
the beginning of the "print" manual, not about the [@ifnottex]
Acknowlegements Section (ack.texi) at the end of the Info manual.

There are 443 contributors acknowledged in this section. I realise
the section must be hard to keep up to date (and indeed there is a
comment in it about possibly dropping it and IIUC replacing it
with a reference to AUTHORS) but I suggest that anyone who is the
author of more than 100 commits should be included. In the current
log for the emacs-26 branch (which goes back to about 1985) there
are only about 90 such individuals.

While I realise there are many problems with using commit count as
a measure of contribution, and also that the log is not especially
reliable (especially without some normalization), I don't think it
would be too controversial to say that all of these 90-odd people
should be acknowledged as a contributor.

The following people all have more than 100 commits but are omitted:

  Ken Brown
  Tino Calancha
  Artur Malabarba
  Mark Oteiza
  Nicolas Petton
  Noam Postavsky
  Philipp Stephani

I suggest they be added (unless they have deliberately been
omitted because they're included under a different name or have
requested they be omitted or whatever).

Below is an attempt at a patch to do this. (Note: Rather than
re-fill the lines, I made the minimum changes. This makes some
lines rather long but some of the existing lines are longer, and
since this section is justified by TeX anyway, I'm guessing this
is not a problem?)

N.

Add omitted contributors to Acknowledgements in Emacs (print) manual

* doc/emacs/emacs.texi (Acknowledgments): Update with names of all
  previously omitted contributors who have made at least 100
  commits.

diff --git a/doc/emacs/emacs.texi b/doc/emacs/emacs.texi
index 1b9a8b3..ef70d58 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/emacs.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/emacs.texi
@@ -1401,8 +1401,8 @@ Acknowledgments
 Berry, Anna M. Bigatti, Ray Blaak, Martin Blais, Jim Blandy, Johan
 Bockgård, Jan Böcker, Joel Boehland, Lennart Borgman, Per Bothner,
 Terrence Brannon, Frank Bresz, Peter Breton, Emmanuel Briot, Kevin
-Broadey, Vincent Broman, Michael Brouwer, David M. Brown, Stefan Bruda,
-Georges Brun-Cottan, Joe Buehler, Scott Byer, Włodek Bzyl,
+Broadey, Vincent Broman, Michael Brouwer, David M. Brown, Ken Brown, Stefan Bruda,
+Georges Brun-Cottan, Joe Buehler, Scott Byer, Włodek Bzyl, Tino Calancha,
 Bill Carpenter, Per Cederqvist, Hans Chalupsky, Chris Chase, Bob
 Chassell, Andrew Choi, Chong Yidong, Sacha Chua, Stewart Clamen, James
 Clark, Mike Clarkson, Glynn Clements, Andrew Cohen, Daniel Colascione,
@@ -1444,7 +1444,7 @@ Acknowledgments
 Juri Linkov, Francis Litterio, Sergey Litvinov, Leo Liu, Emilio C. Lopes,
 Martin Lorentzon, Dave Love, Eric Ludlam, Károly Lőrentey, Sascha
 Lüdecke, Greg McGary, Roland McGrath, Michael McNamara, Alan Mackenzie,
-Christopher J. Madsen, Neil M. Mager, Ken Manheimer, Bill Mann,
+Christopher J. Madsen, Neil M. Mager, Artur Malabarba, Ken Manheimer, Bill Mann,
 Brian Marick, Simon Marshall, Bengt Martensson, Charlie Martin,
 Yukihiro Matsumoto, Tomohiro Matsuyama, David Maus, Thomas May, Will Mengarini, David
 Megginson, Stefan Merten, Ben A. Mesander, Wayne Mesard, Brad
@@ -1455,11 +1455,11 @@ Acknowledgments
 Jurgen Nickelsen, Dan Nicolaescu, Hrvoje Nikšić, Jeff Norden,
 Andrew Norman, Theresa O'Connor, Kentaro Ohkouchi, Christian Ohler,
 Kenichi Okada, Alexandre Oliva, Bob Olson, Michael Olson, Takaaki Ota,
-Pieter E. J. Pareit, Ross Patterson, David Pearson, Juan Pechiar,
+Mark Oteiza, Pieter E. J. Pareit, Ross Patterson, David Pearson, Juan Pechiar,
 Jeff Peck, Damon Anton Permezel, Tom Perrine, William M. Perry, Per
-Persson, Jens Petersen, Daniel Pfeiffer, Justus Piater, Richard L.
+Persson, Jens Petersen, Nicolas Petton, Daniel Pfeiffer, Justus Piater, Richard L.
 Pieri, Fred Pierresteguy, François Pinard, Daniel Pittman, Christian
-Plaunt, Alexander Pohoyda, David Ponce, Francesco A. Potortì,
+Plaunt, Alexander Pohoyda, David Ponce, Noam Postavsky, Francesco A. Potortì,
 Michael D. Prange, Mukesh Prasad, Ken Raeburn, Marko Rahamaa, Ashwin
 Ram, Eric S. Raymond, Paul Reilly, Edward M. Reingold, David
 Reitter, Alex Rezinsky, Rob Riepel, Lara Rios, Adrian Robert, Nick
@@ -1476,7 +1476,7 @@ Acknowledgments
 Šimko, Espen Skoglund, Rick Sladkey, Lynn Slater, Chris Smith,
 David Smith, Paul D. Smith, Wilson Snyder, William Sommerfeld, Simon
 South, Andre Spiegel, Michael Staats, Thomas Steffen, Ulf Stegemann,
-Reiner Steib, Sam Steingold, Ake Stenhoff, Peter Stephenson, Ken
+Reiner Steib, Sam Steingold, Ake Stenhoff, Philipp Stephani, Peter Stephenson, Ken
 Stevens, Andy Stewart, Jonathan Stigelman, Martin Stjernholm, Kim F.
 Storm, Steve Strassmann, Christopher Suckling, Olaf Sylvester, Naoto
 Takahashi, Steven Tamm, Jan Tatarik, Luc Teirlinck, Jean-Philippe Theberge, Jens