Subject: bug#28542: Temporary failure in name resolution while quitting emacs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 15:43:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think it'd be good to have a run_hook_with_timeout function, yes.
> Whether it should be exposed to Lisp, I'm less certain: what would be
> the use case that isn't this single place?

It is somewhat special-purpose; yes.  On the other hand, implementing it
in Lisp is a lot easier, and I guess I could envision people actually
using it for other things, too?  So I just put it in subr.el.  (But I
did not document it in the manual, because it does not seem to warrant
that.)

Pushed to the trunk now and the test case seems to work fine.

> As for zeroing waiting_for_input: it's almost certainly shouldn't be
> part of that, since it should always be zero when Emacs signals an
> error.  We do this here because this might be exiting due to a fatal
> signal, in which case all bets are off, and we should better be safe
> than sorry.

I'm not quite sure I'm reading this paragraph right -- I'm not sure what
"that" in "shouldn't be part of that" refers to here.  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no