Subject: 26.0.60; cannot set frame geometry, plus weirdness

From: Nick Helm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 00:01:38 +1200

Emacs does not set frame geometry parameters correctly:

  Emacs -Q

  (frame-parameter nil 'width)  -> 75
  (frame-parameter nil 'height) -> 35
  ;this is already odd as default geometry should be 80x36

  (set-frame-parameter nil 'width 105)

  (frame-parameter nil 'width)  -> 100 ;width is incorrect
  (frame-parameter nil 'height) -> 35

Setting frame width also seems to somehow influence frame height:

  (set-frame-parameter nil 'width 105)
  (set-frame-parameter nil 'width 105) 
  ;set frame width a few more times
  ;the frame pixel height changes by a fraction of a char each time

  (frame-parameter nil 'width)  -> 100
  (frame-parameter nil 'height) -> 34  ;height changed

In GNU Emacs 26.0.60 (build 3, x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0, NS appkit-1504.83 Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29))
 of 2017-09-21 built on jupiter.local
Repository revision: 047f02f00f602b9aef63ae8938e12f3f0ab481eb
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Emacs start-up time: 0.5 seconds
user-error: The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --without-pop'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  savehist-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader wid-edit emacsbug
message subr-x puny seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time dired-x easymenu dired dired-loaddefs
pcase savehist nh-macdict easy-mmode iso-transl edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs cl-lib gv linum plain-theme time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 262652 8928)
 (symbols 48 26289 1)
 (miscs 40 39 185)
 (strings 32 47889 1494)
 (string-bytes 1 1385812)
 (vectors 16 40662)
 (vector-slots 8 764982 29035)
 (floats 8 205 64)
 (intervals 56 212 0)
 (buffers 992 11))