Subject: 25.3; 64-bit version of Emacs 25.3 does not start on Windows 7

From: "Kraai, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:24:28 +0000

Hi,

After unpacking https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-x86_64.zip using Info-ZIP's UnZip 6.00 on a system running Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1, nothing happens when I run runemacs.exe.  I've tried running it from Windows Explorer, a Command Prompt window, and a Git Bash window.  I've checked the signature of the .ZIP file using the key whose fingerprint is 8493 0FFB 79B6 45F7 DEA2 9AD0 AC6D D3FF D1D0 46BD.

When I perform the same steps using either https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.2-x86_64.zip or https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-i686.zip, Emacs starts successfully.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-09-17 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 'configure --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --without-dbus
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-static -O2 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark saved where search started
Saving file c:/Users/kraaimx/src/amo_toricoffline/ToricCalculator.iss...
Wrote c:/Users/kraaimx/src/amo_toricoffline/ToricCalculator.iss
next-line: End of buffer [5 times]
(No changes need to be saved)
Mark set
Saving file c:/Users/kraaimx/src/amo_toricoffline/ToricCalculator.iss...
Wrote c:/Users/kraaimx/src/amo_toricoffline/ToricCalculator.iss
Mark set [2 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
vc-dispatcher vc-svn sh-script smie executable bat-mode markdown-mode
url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars noutline outline dabbrev pulse thingatpt etags
xref cl-seq project ring eieio eieio-core cl-macs misearch multi-isearch
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs server finder-inf info
package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 210614 29772)
 (symbols 32 26549 0)
 (miscs 32 321 722)
 (strings 16 38258 8929)
 (string-bytes 1 1185774)
 (vectors 8 28236)
 (vector-slots 4 1327484 12550)
 (floats 8 275 266)
 (intervals 28 5993 198)
 (buffers 520 27))