Subject: 26.0.60; Truncation in %d displayed numbers in minor mode lighter

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:44:49 +0000

Hello,

This issue is a regression from emacs 25.x.

I discovered this issue while using multiple-cursors package that uses a
dynamic minor mode lighter that shows the active number of multiple cursors.

(defcustom mc/mode-line
  `(" mc:" (:eval (format ,(propertize "%d" 'face 'font-lock-warning-face)
                          (mc/num-cursors))))
  "What to display in the mode line while multiple-cursors-mode is active."
  :group 'multiple-cursors)

Ref:
https://github.com/magnars/multiple-cursors.el/blob/10752700084595bb24712c27ba70a2326302e45b/multiple-cursors-core.el#L523-L527

But the issue can be easily recreated using this dummy code:

=====
(defvar test-cache 0)

(defconst test-format-mode-lighter
  `(" test:" (:eval (format ,(propertize "%d" 'face
'font-lock-warning-face) (test-incr)))))

(defun test-incr ()
  (setq test-cache (1+ test-cache))
  test-cache)

(define-minor-mode test-format-mode
  "Test that the dynamic minor mode lighter does not get truncated."
  :lighter test-format-mode-lighter
  (unless test-format-mode
    (setq test-cache 0)))
=====

1. Start emacs -Q (emacs 26+).
2. Evaluate the above dummy code snippet.
3. M-x test-format-mode

You will see this:

4. Now move the cursor around.. you will see the number after "test:"
increment.. once it reaches 9, the next increment would be 10.. but then
the numbers disappear altogether. You see this now:

Upon doing C-h v test-format-mode-lighter, I see:

test-format-mode-lighter’s value is
(" test:"
 (:eval
   (format
    #("%d" 0 2
      (face font-lock-warning-face))
    (test-incr))))

I don't understand the exact meaning of those numbers "0 2", but looks like
that limits the number of characters to be displayed after "test:"?

As a quick hack, I replace the "%d" in that variable with "%-3d".

Now the C-h v gives:

test-format-mode-lighter’s value is
(" test:"
 (:eval
   (format
    #("%-3d" 0 4
      (face font-lock-warning-face))
    (test-incr))))

So the number of character limit got raised because "%-3d" is literally 4
characters.

If I make that "%-10d".. the limit is literally 5 characters!!

test-format-mode-lighter’s value is
(" test:"
 (:eval
   (format
    #("%-10d" 0 5
      (face font-lock-warning-face))
    (test-incr))))

This strange truncation behavior did not exist on emacs 25+.

My guess is that the

In GNU Emacs 26.0.60 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2017-09-20
Repository revision: f16a8d5dbd3bb8a319c951bdde9a6a75dbdb8c17
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60900000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.6
(Santiago)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules
 --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/emacs-26
 '--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags_emacs/'
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2
 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' 'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64
 -ggdb3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/pkgconfig:/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64/pkgconfig:/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib/pkgconfig:/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig:/lib/pkgconfig:/lib64/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97048 7622)
 (symbols 48 20814 1)
 (miscs 40 42 119)
 (strings 32 28795 1337)
 (string-bytes 1 765341)
 (vectors 16 14940)
 (vector-slots 8 508725 5443)
 (floats 8 48 73)
 (intervals 56 245 0)
 (buffers 992 11)
 (heap 1024 21678 835))

-- 

Kaushal Modi