Subject: bug#28519: 26.0.50; Dired move of directory across partition boundary fails

From: adam plaice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 20:10:40 +0100

It seems that a very similar problem occurs when trying to move a
directory using tramp to a remote system (with ssh/scp).

To reproduce:

Open a directory in dired,
With point over a subdirectory, press R to "rename" it,
As the destination, select a directory on a remote filesystem (with
tramp).

Expected behaviour:

The subdirectory is moved to the destination.

Actual behaviour:

Nothing happens, with sample error message:

Renaming /local/path/directory to
/ssh:username@hostname:/path/to/directory...failed Move
‘/local/path/directory’ to
‘/ssh:username@hostname:/path/to/directory’ failed: (file-error Read
error Is a directory /local/path/directory)

(Details redacted for privacy.)

Moving a file (rather than a directory) works normally.

I assume that the underlying issue is the same as above, so I'm not
filing a separate bug.