Subject: Re: bug#28513: 25.1; ido insists on guessing the wrong directory

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:33:09 +0100

I've read the doc string again -- I didn't think the current behaviour
was documented, but it is:

---
If DEFAULT-FILENAME is omitted or
nil, then if INITIAL is non-nil, the default is DIR combined with
INITIAL; otherwise, if the current buffer is visiting a file,
that file serves as the default; otherwise, the default is simply
the string inserted into the minibuffer.
---

So it's documented that buffer-file-name is the default value, no matter
what default-directory is.

I guess the fix here has to be in ido itself, and it'll have to
special-case write-file.

[time passes]

OK, now done in Emacs 28, and the test case now works better, and there
probably shouldn't be a lot of regressions here...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no