Subject: bug#28506: coreutils 8.28 test suite hangs on APFS filesystem

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 10:14:37 -0700

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Jack Howarth
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Jack Howarth <
...

>     Attached are the tests/touch/trailing-slash.log and
> tests/touch/trailing-slash.trs files generated from a build on an APFS
> volume running 10.13 in case you can identify why that test is failing.

That test is failing because your system allows "touch
symlink-to-file-specified-with-trailing-slash/" to succeed, e.g., here
is how it's supposed to work, but on your system touch (mistakenly)
succeeds:

$ : > k && ln -s k j && touch j/
touch: setting times of 'j/': Not a directory

When a non-directory name is specified with a trailing slash, many
interfaces are required by POSIX to fail with ENOTDIR. It looks like
one of those on your system goes ahead and performs the requested
operation as if that slash were not present.

We can probably teach gnulib to detect and work around this flaw.