Subject: bug#28506: coreutils 8.28 test suite hangs on APFS filesystem

From: Jack Howarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:07:32 -0400

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Jim Meyering <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Jack Howarth
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Jim Meyering <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...
> >> Is there any chance your failing test was via a python2 framework? I'm
> >> asking (on Pádraig's behalf) because there is a known problem whereby
> >> SIGPIPE is mishandled in that case, and that might explain this
> >> failure, since the data-generation phase relies on SIGPIPE killing
> >> this test's "yes" command.
> >
> > I doubt it as the hang doesn't happen under 10.13 when run on a JHFS
> > formatted volume.
>
> How did you run the tests?
>

Actually, I forgot to mention that the coreutils test suite hang only
occurred on the APFS volumes when the coreutils built against the gettext
and libiconv from fink. A build outside of fink which didn't build against
those packages didn't show the hang in the coreutils test suite. The fink
gettext and libiconv packages that I am using are those from...

https://sourceforge.net/p/fink/package-submissions/4955/

and

https://sourceforge.net/p/fink/package-submissions/5004/

which are both patched for the format string strictness in High Sierra. I
found that using --disable-nls in configuring coreutils was insufficient to
suppress the test suite hang which I assume is due to the presence of...

#define HAVE_LIBINTL_H 1

in the generated ./lib/config.h

despite the presence of...

/* #undef HAVE_DCGETTEXT */
/* #undef HAVE_GETTEXT */

when --disable-nls is used so it still could be a Unicode related change in
APFS, no?
      Jack