Subject: bug#28502: 25.3; list-packages ends with "error in process filter: End of file during parsing"

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 03:27:25 +0200

Alex Branham <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I seem to have encountered a bug. From emacs -Q:
>
> (require 'package)
> (setq package-archives
>       '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
>         ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/")
>         ("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))
> (package-initialize)
>
> Then do M-x list-packages. I get a message "error in process filter: End of file during parsing."

Without a backtrace, it's hard to say exactly, but I strongly suspect
that the error you're seeing here happens when we try to `read' an
incompletely downloaded archive-contents file.

Normally, you should get the error saying "Failed to download `%s'
archive."  But if debug-on-error is non-nil, then you will get a
backtrace instead.  I think that is the correct behaviour.

Having read this thread and investigated this issue a bit, I have a hard
time figuring out exactly what to do.  I think we have too little to go
on: no backtrace and no recipe for reproduction.

- When you saw this, did you have debug-on-error set to a non-nil value?
- Have you seen this issue since, and if so, are you able to reproduce it?
- Alternatively, could you provide a backtrace?

In summary, I think we need more information in order to be able to make
any progress here.

If I don't hear back from you within a couple of weeks, I'll just close
this as unreproducible.  If anyone has any other ideas, please speak up.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas