Subject: bug#28500: closed (Re: bug#28500: 25.3; shell mode starts echoing command)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:10:04 +0000

Your bug report

#28500: 25.3; shell mode starts echoing command

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28500: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28500
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28500: 25.3; shell mode starts echoing command
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Barry Warsaw <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:49:12 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Barry Warsaw <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:39:14 -0400
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>,
>  [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> 
> > Thanks for investigating.  Does that mean we can close this bug
> > report?
> 
> Yep!  And thanks.

Closing.

Subject: 25.3; shell mode starts echoing command
From: [email-masked] (Barry A. Warsaw)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:46:50 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

* M-x shell RET
* Go to the shell and type `ls RET`
* See the output of the `ls` but *not* the actual `ls` command
* Enter an interpreter; two choices which reproduce the problem include `sqlite3` and `python3`
  Type `sqlite3` at the shell prompt
* Type .exit at the sqlite3 prompt (notice that the `.exit` was echo'd
  before the shell prompt came back; the bug is now active
* Type `ls RET` at the shell prompt.  Notice that the `ls RET` was
  echoed before the ls output was printed.

Note that using `python3` or even `python` at the prompt will also
exhibit the bug.  (To exit Python, just type ctrl-D).  The only way I've
found to "fix" the problem is to ctrl-D to exit the shell, then `M-x
shell RET` to restart it in the same buffer.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0, NS appkit-1504.83 Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29))
 of 2017-09-14 built on resist.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3 --without-x --with-xml2
 --without-dbus --without-gnutls --without-imagemagick --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 200070 5259)
 (symbols 48 19931 0)
 (miscs 40 59 194)
 (strings 32 16829 5243)
 (string-bytes 1 489691)
 (vectors 16 33562)
 (vector-slots 8 655967 4691)
 (floats 8 158 281)
 (intervals 56 252 16)
 (buffers 976 20))