Subject: 2017-05-04; No highlighting in preview latex mode

From: Alexey Abrikosov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 17:36:41 +0400

To: [email-masked]
Subject: 2017-05-04; No highlighting in preview latex mode
From: [email-masked]
--text follows this line--

Remember to cover the basics.  Including a minimal LaTeX example
file exhibiting the problem might help.

--text follows this line--

You may see the problem in the attached pictures. Suppose I use the
preview-latex mode and try to edit a formula.

I use the toggle option of [mouse-3] and view the original LaTeX
expression. See Prv_no_HiLt.jpg.

Then I try to select an element with the mouse or keyboard. The active
region may be either wider than the previewed expression or be a part of
it. Independently of the choice there is no highlighting of the
previewed region:

a) If the region is wider than the preview I get Prv_HiLt.jpg;

b) If I select a part of the previewed formula the view in
Prv_no_HiLt.jpg. does not change.

Nevertheless I'm able to copy, kill etc. the active region. I did not
have the problem in older versions of Emacs and Auctex. Moreover I could
not solve myself when I tried to change AucTeX and Preview-LaTeX
options.

Information on Emacs and AucTeX highlighting on the Net is rather
scarce.

Help!

Thank you in advance, AA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-04-25
Package: 2017-05-04

Run buffer contents:

Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `Formulas_binder' with ``pdflatex -ini
-interaction=nonstopmode "&pdflatex" "prv_Formulas_binder".ini
"\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active,tightpage,auctex}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}"
"\input" "Formulas_binder.tex"''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.18 (MiKTeX 2.9.6400) (INITEX)
entering extended mode
(prv_Formulas_binder.ini
LaTeX2e <2017-04-15>
Babel <3.12> and hyphenation patterns for 8 language(s) loaded.
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\carlisle\mylatex.ltx")
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\tools\.tex" File ignored))
No auxiliary output files.

(Formulas_binder.tex ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\base\article.cls"
Document Class: article 2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\base\size12.clo"))
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\base\inputenc.sty"
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\cyrillic\cp866.def"))
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\generic\babel\babel.sty"
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\generic\babel\switch.def")
*************************************
* Local config file bblopts.cfg used
*

("C:\Documents and Settings\GTO\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.9\tex\latex\arabi\bbl
opts.cfg")
("C:\Documents and Settings\GTO\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.9\tex\latex\babel-rus
sian\russianb.ldf" ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\generic\babel\babel.def"
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\generic\babel\switch.def"))

Package babel Warning: No Cyrillic font encoding has been loaded so far.
(babel)                A font encoding should be declared before babel.
(babel)                Default `T2A' encoding will be loaded  on input line
69.

("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\cyrillic\t2aenc.def")))
("C:\Documents and Settings\GTO\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.9\tex\latex\mathtools
\mathtools.sty" ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\graphics\keyval.sty")
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\tools\calc.sty")
("C:\Documents and Settings\GTO\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.9\tex\latex\mathtools
\mhsetup.sty") ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\amsmath\amsmath.sty"
For additional information on amsmath, use the `?' option.
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\amsmath\amstext.sty"
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\amsmath\amsgen.sty"))
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\amsmath\amsbsy.sty")
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\latex\amsmath\amsopn.sty")))
("C:\Program Files\...

[...]

    ...nformation) <C:\Documents and Settings
\GTO\Local Settings\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.9\fonts\pk\ljfour\lh\lh-t2a\dpi60
0\larm0800.pk> <C:\Documents and Settings\GTO\Local Settings\Application
Data\M
iKTeX\2.9\fonts\pk\ljfour\lh\lh-t2a\dpi600\labx1200.pk> <C:\Documents and
Setti
ngs\GTO\Local Settings\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.9\fonts\pk\ljfour\lh\lh-t2a\dp
i600\labx1440.pk> <C:\Documents and Settings\GTO\Local Settings\Application
Dat
a\MiKTeX\2.9\fonts\pk\ljfour\lh\lh-t2a\dpi600\latt1095.pk> <C:\Documents
and Se
ttings\GTO\Local Settings\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.9\fonts\pk\ljfour\unknown\u
nknown\dpi600\larm1200.pk> <C:\Documents and Settings\GTO\Local
Settings\Applic
ation Data\MiKTeX\2.9\fonts\pk\ljfour\lh\lh-t2a\dpi600\labx1728.pk><C:/Program

Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmbx12.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX
/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmbx8.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/
public/amsfonts/cm/cmex10.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfo
nts/cm/cmmi12.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmmi6
.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmmi8.pfb><C:/Prog
ram Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmmib10.pfb><C:/Program
Files/M
iKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr12.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/t
ype1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr6.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/am
sfonts/cm/cmr8.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmsy
10.pfb><C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmsy6.pfb><C:/Pr
ogram Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmsy8.pfb><C:/Documents
and S
ettings/GTO/Application
Data/MiKTeX/2.9/fonts/type1/public/dstroke/dsrom12.pfb>
<C:/Program
Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/symbols/msam10.pfb><C:/Pro
gram Files/MiKTeX/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/symbols/msbm10.pfb>
Output written on _region_.pdf (132 pages, 298627 bytes).
Transcript written on _region_.log.

TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Mon Sep 18 15:53:47
Running `Preview-PDF2DSC' with ``pdf2dsc "_region_".pdf
"_region_.prv/tmp2836NUI"/preview.dsc''

Preview-PDF2DSC finished at Mon Sep 18 15:53:49
Running `Preview-Ghostscript' with
``"c:/PROGRA~1/MiKTeX/miktex/bin/mgs.exe"
^"-dOutputFile=^(_region_.prv/tmp2836NUI/pr1-^%d.png^)^" "-q"
"-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS" "-dPrinted" "-dTextAlphaBits=4"
"-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4" "-sDEVICE=png16m" "-r146.304x146.304"''

Preview-Ghostscript finished at Mon Sep 18 15:53:58

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-version "2017-05-04"
 LaTeX-command-style '(("" "%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts)
%S%(PDFout)"))
 image-types '(svg png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
 preview-image-type 'png
 preview-image-creators '((dvipng (open preview-gs-open
preview-dvipng-process-setup)
               (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-dvipng-close))
              (png (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
               (close preview-gs-close))
              (jpeg (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
               (close preview-gs-close))
              (pnm (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
               (close preview-gs-close))
              (tiff (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
               (close preview-gs-close))
              )
 preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
 preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o
\"%m/prev%%03d.png\""
 preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %s.pdf %m/preview.dsc"
 preview-gs-command "c:/PROGRA~1/MiKTeX/miktex/bin/mgs.exe"
 preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS"
"-dPrinted"
              "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
 preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m") (dvipng png
"-sDEVICE=png16m")
                   (jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg") (pnm pbm "-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
                   (tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
 preview-fast-conversion t
 preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
 preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
 preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
 preview-scale-function 1.8
 preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l
\"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
             ("," . preview-required-option-list)
             "}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined"
             preview-default-preamble "\\fi}\"%' %t")
 preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
                (preview-preserve-counters "counters"))
 preview-preserve-counters nil
 preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics" "textmath"
"sections" "footnotes")
 preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage[" ("," .
preview-default-option-list)
                "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
 preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
 preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
                 ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(\\( +-\\([^
\\\\\"]\\|\\\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)*\\)\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini
-interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\5")
                 )
 preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\) .*? \"\\\\input\"
\\(.*\\)\\'"
                "\\1 -interaction=nonstopmode \"&" preview-format-name "\"
\\2")
                   )
 preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
 preview-TeX-style-dir nil
 )

Output from running `c:/PROGRA~1/MiKTeX/miktex/bin/mgs.exe -h':
GPL Ghostscript 9.21 (2017-03-16)
Copyright (C) 2017 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
 -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer
messages
 -g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res>  pixels/inch resolution
 -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last file
 -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
                                         embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2
PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: display
Available devices:
   bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags bj10e bj200 bjc600 bjc800 bmp16 bmp16m
   bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 cdeskjet cdj550 cdjcolor
   cdjmono cp50 declj250 deskjet devicen display djet500 djet500c eps2write
   eps9high eps9mid epson epsonc fpng gprf ibmpro ijs ink_cov inkcov
   jetp3852 jpeg jpegcmyk jpeggray laserjet lbp8 lj250 ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d
   ljet4 ljet4d ljetplus m8510 mswinpr2 necp6 nullpage pam pamcmyk32
   pamcmyk4 pbm pbmraw pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono pdfwrite
   pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw pj pjxl pjxl300 pkmraw plan planc plang plank
   planm plib plibc plibg plibk plibm png16 png16m png256 pngalpha pnggray
   pngmono pngmonod pnm pnmcmyk pnmraw ppm ppmraw ps2write psdcmyk psdcmykog
   psdrgb pxlcolor pxlmono r4081 spotcmyk st800 stcolor t4693d2 t4693d4
   t4693d8 tek4696 tiff12nc tiff24nc tiff32nc tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle
   tiffg3 tiffg32d tiffg4 tiffgray tifflzw tiffpack tiffscaled tiffscaled24
   tiffscaled32 tiffscaled4 tiffscaled8 tiffsep tiffsep1 txtwrite uniprint
   xpswrite
Search path:
   C:\Appl\Ghosts\gs9.21\bin ; C:\Appl\Ghosts\gs9.21\lib ;
   C:\Appl\Ghosts\gs9.21\fonts ; %rom%Resource/Init/ ; %rom%lib/ ;
   c:/gs/gs9.21/Resource/Init ; c:/gs/gs9.21/lib ;
   c:/gs/gs9.21/Resource/Font ; c:/gs/fonts
Initialization files are compiled into the executable.
For more information, see c:/gs/gs9.21/doc/Use.htm.
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.