Subject: Re: bug#28476: 26.0.60; Gnus: broken timezone in citation line

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 08:29:46 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>

> > I have message-citation-line-format set to
> > 
> >   "On %e %B %Y %R %Z, %N wrote:\n"
[...]
> I think you should use %z, not %Z.  %Z gives the time-zone _name_, a
> string, whereas %z gives its numeric form.  FWIW, I get the time-zone
> name from %Z in both Emacs 25.3 and the current emacs-26 branch.  Not
> sure why you get different results in 25.3.

How are you testing this?  The docstring for
message-citation-line-format says that %z and %Z are special-cased, with
both producing the time zone in numeric form.

Maybe there was a deliberate change in Gnus to distinguish %z from %Z
for Emacs 26?  If so, there are still 2 issues: the documentation is
wrong, and I'd expect %Z to produce "PDT", not "+07".

(format-time-string "%Z")
=> "PDT"

mike