Subject: Re: bug#2843: 23.0.92; Emacs.app cannot display X bitmaps

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:10:52 +0200

Am 11.07.2011 um 18:42 schrieb Alp Aker:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> The colours of the PNG file are lighter, less saturated and the  
>> light 3D shades at the NE and NW corners have less contrast to the  
>> basic colour. See attached screen shot!
>
> Ah, I misunderstood you.  Your point is that two renderings in Emacs  
> of same image file look different.  This isn't Emacs's doing,  
> though.  Cocoa is rendering the colors differently depending on the  
> screen location.
>
> Reverse the buffer/window arrangement (in the setup of your  
> screenshot, put the startup buffer in the bottom window and the  
> splash.png buffer in the top window) and you'll get the opposite  
> effect: it's now the image in the splash.png buffer that looks more  
> saturated.  Put the images side by side and they'll look equally  
> saturated.

Or view the Splash screen in two horizontally stacked windows...

>
> You can reproduce all this outside of Emacs:  Make two copies of  
> splash.png and open them in a graphics editor, then try moving the  
> windows around.
>
> Why is Cocoa doing this?  I dunno.  In any case, this report should  
> probably be closed.

Maybe it's a "feature" of the LC screen! (For which the Dock is at the  
bottom by default.) OK, this old bug report can be closed (hoping that  
the NS variant will learn to display the same graphics formats as the  
X client or the AppKit client can do)!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never  
stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and  
neither do we.
				– Georges W. Bush