Subject: Re: [bug#28421] [PATCH] gnu: Add uim.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 18:35:11 +0200

Hi Arun,

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Sorry for the late reply. Somehow, your last mail was not delivered to
> my inbox. I just saw it on the debbugs web interface.
>
>> I think the question is: are GTK+ and Qt needed just for the
>> preference UI, or are they needed to enable support for this input
>> method in GTK+ and Qt applications?
>
> I ran `ldd lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-uim.so | grep gtk' in uim's
> store directory, and got
>
> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /gnu/store/6wbbjj5f9ldbf7gpgah16pw2kfw3q6ij-gtk+-2.24.31/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x00007ff9de133000)
> libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /gnu/store/6wbbjj5f9ldbf7gpgah16pw2kfw3q6ij-gtk+-2.24.31/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x00007ff9ddc58000)
>
> Similar output for `ldd lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-uim.so | grep
> gtk'. So, I guess gtk+ is needed for this input method to work in gtk+
> applications. Must be likewise for qt.
>
>  If it's the latter, we definitely need to keep both.
>
> Debian's solution is to have a separate uim package for each frontend --
> uim-gtk2, uim-gtk3, uim-qt, uim-el, uim-fep, etc. This seems a little
> expensive. But, perhaps we can take the middle ground, and have two
> outputs
>
> * a gtk output that supports gtk2, gtk3 and others
> * a qt output that supports qt and others
>
> WDYT?

Separate outputs would be fine, though I have a slight preference for
separate packages (I suppose that could be factorized by having a
‘make-uim’ procedure that takes the GUI toolkit and returns the
corresponding package), since that would be easier to build (no need to
download/build all the toolkits.)

Now, whether you opt for separate packages or separate outputs, it
doesn’t have to be as fine-grain as what Debian’s does.  A single
package/output for both GTK versions would be fine, for instance.

Thanks for looking into it!

Ludo’.