Subject: Re: [bug#28421] [PATCH] gnu: Add uim.

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 12:20:46 +0530

Sorry for the late reply. Somehow, your last mail was not delivered to
my inbox. I just saw it on the debbugs web interface.

> I think the question is: are GTK+ and Qt needed just for the
> preference UI, or are they needed to enable support for this input
> method in GTK+ and Qt applications?

I ran `ldd lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-uim.so | grep gtk' in uim's
store directory, and got

libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /gnu/store/6wbbjj5f9ldbf7gpgah16pw2kfw3q6ij-gtk+-2.24.31/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x00007ff9de133000)
libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /gnu/store/6wbbjj5f9ldbf7gpgah16pw2kfw3q6ij-gtk+-2.24.31/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x00007ff9ddc58000)

Similar output for `ldd lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-uim.so | grep
gtk'. So, I guess gtk+ is needed for this input method to work in gtk+
applications. Must be likewise for qt.

 If it's the latter, we definitely need to keep both.

Debian's solution is to have a separate uim package for each frontend --
uim-gtk2, uim-gtk3, uim-qt, uim-el, uim-fep, etc. This seems a little
expensive. But, perhaps we can take the middle ground, and have two
outputs

* a gtk output that supports gtk2, gtk3 and others
* a qt output that supports qt and others

WDYT?