Subject: bug#28405: Adding entries to LaTeX-indent-environment-list

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 14:22:41 +0900

>>>>> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
> Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> writes:
>> With respect to math envs without alignment, e.g. "equation",
>> "displaymath" and "gather", I think there are two approaches:
>> 1. Remove them from default value of `LaTeX-indent-environment-list'.
>> Users who want to disable filling in such envs customize the option
>> to add entries such as ("equation"), ("displaymath") and so on.
>> 2. Include them in default value of `LaTeX-indent-environment-list'.
>> Users who want filling in such envs customize the option to remove
>> those entries.
>> 
>> What do you think about the above ideas?

> I'm not sure about 1.  I haven't checked but this behavior was there
> probably forever and we don't have a smart filling for equations w/o
> alignment.  Do we want to pass this to Emacs standard filling rules?

I think standard filling isn't so bad. It does the job mostly
satisfactorily, at least for me.

> About 2., we're talking about these environments, right:

>   ("equation*") ("gather") ("gather*")
>   ("gathered") ("multline") ("multline*")

> The reason I'm asking is I was also thinking about a third solution
> which can be in the styles.  There, we can check if user has removed the
> LaTeX standard environments from `LaTeX-indent-environment-list' and
> then make a decision.  Essentially in amsmath.el:

>   (when (or (assoc "equation" LaTeX-indent-environment-list)
>             (assoc "displaymath" LaTeX-indent-environment-list))
>    <add other environments to `LaTeX-indent-environment-list'>)

> What do you think, does this make sense?

Hmm, that looks a bit ad-hoc, but would work for most practical cases.
Do you plan to have similar conditional for envs with alignment such as
"array" and "eqnarray" as well? If so, it would be consistent and make
sense.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita