Subject: Re: bug#28405: Adding entries to LaTeX-indent-environment-list

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 10:58:08 +0100

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> writes:

> With respect to math envs without alignment, e.g. "equation",
> "displaymath" and "gather", I think there are two approaches:
> 1. Remove them from default value of `LaTeX-indent-environment-list'.
>    Users who want to disable filling in such envs customize the option
>    to add entries such as ("equation"), ("displaymath") and so on.
> 2. Include them in default value of `LaTeX-indent-environment-list'.
>    Users who want filling in such envs customize the option to remove
>    those entries.
>
> What do you think about the above ideas?

I'm not sure about 1.  I haven't checked but this behavior was there
probably forever and we don't have a smart filling for equations w/o
alignment.  Do we want to pass this to Emacs standard filling rules?

About 2., we're talking about these environments, right:

  ("equation*") ("gather") ("gather*")
  ("gathered") ("multline") ("multline*")

The reason I'm asking is I was also thinking about a third solution
which can be in the styles.  There, we can check if user has removed the
LaTeX standard environments from `LaTeX-indent-environment-list' and
then make a decision.  Essentially in amsmath.el:

  (when (or (assoc "equation" LaTeX-indent-environment-list)
            (assoc "displaymath" LaTeX-indent-environment-list))
   <add other environments to `LaTeX-indent-environment-list'>)

What do you think, does this make sense?

Best, Arash