Subject: Re: [bug#28404] The complete Google Noto Fonts

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:55:35 +0200

Hello,

ng0 <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Well they are build from source, and the source is on github.
> for cjk: https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-cjk
> not cjk: https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts
> emoji: https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-emoji
> and they seem to use noto-tools for building, but I haven't looked
> into the build process at all.
> We want to avoid download large source repository checkouts
> or large tarballs, this was one of the problems this project
> was set out to solve.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
ludo@ribbon /tmp$ git clone https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-cjk
Cloning into 'noto-cjk'...
remote: Counting objects: 609, done.        
remote: Total 609 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 609        
Receiving objects: 100% (609/609), 1.53 GiB | 6.66 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (486/486), done.
Checking out files: 100% (140/140), done.
ludo@ribbon /tmp$ du -ms noto-cjk/.git
1568	noto-cjk/.git
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Quite a lot.  However, the snapshot is half that size:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix download https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-cjk/archive/v1.004.tar.gz

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.l7hpQP
>From https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-cjk/archive/v1.004.tar.gz...
following redirection to `https://codeload.github.com/googlei18n/noto-cjk/tar.gz/v1.004'...
 v1.004                                                7.5MiB/s 01:44 | 785.4MiB transferred
/gnu/store/45j4prjlvc25dpbq4qgh437051cdczx8-v1.004.tar.gz
075p99prv3b5pvq60myhfjb7zyphl6fn0ckg8156m38ybisl4nl3
ludo@ribbon /tmp$ du -ms /gnu/store/45j4prjlvc25dpbq4qgh437051cdczx8-v1.004.tar.gz
786	/gnu/store/45j4prjlvc25dpbq4qgh437051cdczx8-v1.004.tar.gz
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Maybe that’s OK, WDYT?  How does it compare to the precompiled archives?

> If someone could look into the build process and describe it here
> and how big the repositories are, this would save a good amount
> of time for me (can't look into it that much this week I think).

That “someone” does not exist.  If there were a whole bunch of people
waiting to save your time, and mine, and everyone else’s, we’d know it
by now.  :-)

Ludo’.