Subject: bug#28403: 25.2; find-tag works, but xref-find-definitions

From: Winston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:05 EDT

Eli suggested:
>>>  etags --regex="/[ \t]*\([^ \t]+\)[ \t]+_ARGS/\1/" ...

and in reply to my changes said:
> It worked with your example.

   Yes.  The difference is a small one: "_ARGS[0-9]" only matches function
definition lines, while using only "_ARGS" will also match declarations.

>>    [Too bad etags doesn't have a way of doing "s/[ \t]+_ARGS[0-9]*//" on
>> the lines it normally finds...]

> Why do you need that?

   The idea was that instead of cluttering up the TAGS file with two
lines for every tag, such as

	foo _ARGS2^?foo^A50,100
	foo _ARGS2(^?50,100

as a result of using --regex, a post edit that allowed one to do
"s/[ \t]+_ARGS[0-9]*//" could simply remove the _ARGS2 part and reduce
the default etags line to:

	foo(^?50,100

thus (I'm guessing) clarifying things a different way.
 -WBE