Subject: Re: bug#28403: 25.2; find-tag works, but xref-find-definitions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 05:34:54 +0300

> Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 17:19 EDT
> From: Winston <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> * Find "foo1" or "foo2" (complete names) worked, both when typed in and
>    when extracting a name near (point).
> 
> * Find "foo" (partial name) didn't: rather than creating a window with
>    the alternatives, it failed with "No definitions found for: foo".
>    find-tag given the same string "foo" went to the first one.

As expected.  You have bad habits from using find-tag.  With xref, you
need to do "M-. foo TAB".

> P.S. Also, I'm finding it mildly annoying that xref-find-definitions,
>      when next to just about any word, including text in comments, tries
>      immediately to go to that word as a tag rather than prompting me
>      for a name with the word as the default, as find-tag did.  That
>      means I'll have to remember to use my {arg} key fairly often to
>      tell it "don't do that, prompt me."  Is there an "always prompt"
>      option, or do I need to write a trivial wrapper function?

I got used to this very quickly, but if you don't want to try, write
your wrapper.