Subject: Re: bug#28403: 25.2; find-tag works, but xref-find-definitions

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:43:51 +0300

On 9/10/17 5:29 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> Try adding `tag-symbol-match-p' to
>>> etags-xref-find-definitions-tag-order. This example should work then,
>>> but you'll get more false positives (like treating return types as
>>> function names).
> 
> Dmitry, how about providing a more user-friendly customization to that
> effect?  As a "fire escape"?

We can turn etags-xref-find-definitions-tag-order into a defcustom, with 
descriptions of what every possible element means. Problems:

1) I have hard time imagining how we're going to have descriptions for 
both tag-exact-match-p and tag-implicit-name-match-p that are different 
and make sense to the user.

2) The user will have to find out about 
etags-xref-find-definitions-tag-order first anyway.

Or we could add a custom variable to xref with a higher-level meaning... 
that would require support from backends, then.