Subject: bug#28402: 25.2; shr.el uses shr-tag-img despite set shr-external-rendering-functions

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 15:52:23 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, but is that really that significant?  You sound like saying that
> any non-trivial change in shr-descend should be rejected for these
> reasons.  Is that really so?  Do we have measurements that would back
> up such extreme care?

No, I'm just saying that any additional features added to that function
should be considered carefully (to see whether that added feature is
worth the performance degradation).  And I don't think we should do
anything to "pretty it up" just because, if that has any performance
impact at all.

In a thing like shr, it's really the case of a death by a thousand cuts:
Each single improvement adds a slight performance hit, and then after a
couple of years you end up with something that's pretty, but completely
unusable.  (It's already too slow as it is.)  So I protect `shr-descend'
fiercely.  :-)

(But late, as always...  Sorry for not saying this before you applied
the patch; it would have been less work for all of us.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no