Subject: Re: bug#28400: 26.0.50; lcms2 bindings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 18:35:05 +0300

> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 11:25:20 -0400
> From: Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > As for color-distance, did you intend to replace or provide a better
> > alternative to similar functions in color.el?
> 
> That is a good question.  I've thought about it, but don't have a good
> answer.  lcms2 could certainly replace some of the things in color.el,
> but if it's an optional feature I guess there are a number of ways to
> handle it.  If we include lcms2.c providing its own 'cms or 'lcms2
> feature, I guess featurep'ing things wouldn't be so bad.

color.el could call lcms2 functions if they are available, and if not,
fall back on its own implementation.

> > If so, perhaps this optional feature could provide
> > compatible alternatives to that?
> 
> Sure, like the example above for color-distance, tty-colors-approximate
> could expose an extra optional argument and/or respond to a variable.

Sounds good, thanks.