Subject: Re: [bug#28398] Xfburn

From: "Thomas Schmitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:02:40 +0100

Hi,

the patches look good to me (which does not have to mean much),
About the Xfburn 

ng0 wrote:
> 1. No Drive found (thanks Cpt. Obvious, I have no optical drive here).

You may at least try creating an ISO image file instead of burning.
Choose "New Data Composition", click the "+ Add" button, choose some
file by single click (double click crashes my local Xfburn), click
the "Add" button at the lower left, click "Proceed to Burn" at the
lower left, check "Only create ISO" and choose a file name for the ISO
image file.

There is a software emulator for some combinations of optical drives
and media types:
  http://cdemu.sourceforge.net/about
It is quite a poor surrogate to a real DVD or BD drive, but at least
the current bug carer of K3B uses it with some success.

> 2. More concerning:
>    Failed to initialize gstreamer transcoder: An error occurred setting
> gstreamer up for transcoding
>   (falling back to basic implementation)

In
  https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=102
i see the advise to do
  sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
and a comment saying that installing of "qtstreamer-plugins,
gstreamer1.0-libav, libgstreamer-perl, ruby-clutter-gstreamer" did the
trick, too.

So it seems to be about finding the packages which contain the desired
software. Looking at the dependencies list of
  https://packages.debian.org/oldstable/gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
  https://packages.debian.org/oldstable/gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
i'd say that this might become a lengthy adventure, if not these lines
in 0003-gnu-Add-xfburn.patch already pull in most of it:
+       ("gstreamer" ,gstreamer)
+       ("gst-plugins-base" ,gst-plugins-base)

gstreamer should not be necessary for the tasks of "New Data Composition",
"Burn Image", and "Blank Disc".
I expect no need for it in the task of "Audio CD" if the input files are
already converted to .wav with the properties "uncompressed headerless PCM,
44100 Hz, 16 bit, stereo".

Have a nice day :)

Thomas