Subject: bug#2836:

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 00:54:35 +0100

On Jul 17, 2009, at 12:49 AM, David Caldwell wrote:
> I'm curious what the reasons are since it wasn't really explained in  
> the
> check-in comments. I've been running with my patch now for 3 months  
> and
> haven't seen any visual oddities. But perhaps my anti-aliasing  
> settings
> are masking what the original change was for...

One reason was that markings in the fringe are oddly divided if line  
spacing is used, rather than continuous.  The other one was to use the  
standard line spacing on the system, and the same line spacing as in  
Emacs 22 (Carbon).

>>> For now, the workaround for this is
>>>
>>> (set-frame-parameter nil 'line-spacing 2)
>>> (or setting defaut-frame-alist accordingly).
>
> This does fix the descenders being chopped off, but ends up making the
> block cursor not cover the whole glyph it's highlighting--it's  
> really ugly.

That per se is a bug and should be changed.  It's probably easier to  
fix.

> Any idea if we'll get a real fix (or one our workarounds) into CVS
> before emacs 23.1 is released?

If someone provides one and it is considered safe, maybe yes.
But I wouldn't worry too much about the release, given the long list  
of NS specific bugs that the release will have anyways.