Subject: Re: bug#2836

From: David Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:49:33 -0700

On 4/27/09 3:52 PM, David Reitter wrote:

>> Reintroducing line spacing (which was removed for a reason) not only
>> fixes this bug, but has global consequences.

I'm curious what the reasons are since it wasn't really explained in the
check-in comments. I've been running with my patch now for 3 months and
haven't seen any visual oddities. But perhaps my anti-aliasing settings
are masking what the original change was for...

>> So I don't think this is the right way to fix this bug.  I think we
>> have to look at the code that draws the non-antialiased text.
>>
>> For now, the workaround for this is
>>
>> (set-frame-parameter nil 'line-spacing 2)
>> (or setting defaut-frame-alist accordingly).

This does fix the descenders being chopped off, but ends up making the
block cursor not cover the whole glyph it's highlighting--it's really ugly.

Any idea if we'll get a real fix (or one our workarounds) into CVS
before emacs 23.1 is released?

-David