Subject: bug#28339: 25.2; Emacs shows ZWNJ character (Zero Width non-Joiner) as Space

From: handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 10:32:57 +0900

In article <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Each Arabic character constitutes a grapheme cluster.  Then, for the
> > sequence "0646 0645 06CC 200C 0634 0648 062F", to which neighboring should
> > 200C belongs to?  Does Unicode define it?

> I don't think Unicode defines that, but I thought the shaping engine
> gives us back glyphs that don't include ZWNJ itself.  Evidently,
> that's not true, which I find strange.

If ZWNJ is WITHIN a grapheme cluster (i.e. not at the edges
of the cluster), the m17n lib does not return ZWNJ glyph.

> > Anyway, is it convenient or inconvenient to be able to edit ZWNJ directly?

> It's convenient.  But we already support deletion of composed
> characters, so I didn't think it mattered.

If Unicode does not have a rule of ZWNJ handing, to delete ZWNJ, how a
user know which to type; C-d or BS?  And while doing cut&paste
repeatedly, are there any chance of having the second and third lines of
the attached file?  They have two and three consecutive ZWNJ.  How does
a user notice such a (perhaps incorrect) situation?

---
K. Handa
[email-masked]

نمی‌شود
نمی‌‌شود
نمی شود