Subject: 25.2; Emacs shows ZWNJ character (Zero Width non-Joiner) as Space

From: Nima Aryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 15:57:34 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to write a XeLaTeX document using Emacs+AUCTex. Everything is
awesome except this issue which Emacs do not show ZWNJ character. However
it write it correctly in the file when I save the document and I'm able to
see the characters correctly when I open it in other editors.

I've tested in different conditions (fresh Emacs with default settings,
different fonts, even with new user) but the problem exists. This problem
is specific to Emacs and I've no such problem in other editors.

Regards,
Nima

---------------

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.16)
 of 2017-07-16 built on arojas
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE:
  value of $LC_CTYPE:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES:
  value of $LC_MONETARY:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC:
  value of $LC_TIME:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  highlight-numbers-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading cua-base...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils
highlight-numbers parent-mode delsel paren cua-base cus-start cus-load
edit-indirect preview-latex tex-site auto-loads use-package diminish
bind-key easy-mmode evil evil-integration undo-tree diff evil-maps
evil-commands evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types evil-search
evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core advice evil-common
windmove thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro kmacro ido
finder-inf info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 219413 13323)
 (symbols 48 29850 0)
 (miscs 40 54 148)
 (strings 32 50964 7936)
 (string-bytes 1 1419802)
 (vectors 16 23465)
 (vector-slots 8 580873 3493)
 (floats 8 235 72)
 (intervals 56 252 0)
 (buffers 976 18))