Subject: 25.2; Default fonts for Info

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 08:23:26 -0700 (PDT)

See screenshot, from MS Windows, emacs -Q

The default font for most Info text is apparently this:

-outline-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-mono-17-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
 (#x48)

The face used for face `Info-quoted' is apparently this:

-outline-Consolas-normal-normal-normal-mono-17-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
 (#x97)

This is backward from what most technical doc uses.  It is typical to
use a font such as Courier (or Courier New) for code.  It is typical to
use a proportional font for ordinary text.  The Consolas font used for
`Info-quoted' is not proportional, but it looks much more like a font
that one would see used for text than a font that is used for code.

Would Emacs Info be more readable out of the box if the fonts were
swapped?  Seems like using a font such as Courier for function and
variable names, keys, etc. might make more sense.

Personally, I'd prefer that the default font families be the same:
Courier (New) - as has always been the case before Emacs 25.2.  (Was
this change in default behavior even discussed on [email-masked]?)

(I'd also prefer that a color be used by default to distinguish face
`Info-quoted', but I don't expect that suggestion to fly.)

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-04-24 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -static -g3''