Subject: bug#28329: closed (Re: bug#28329: 25.2; Eshell: 40M+ output: Stack overflow in regexp matcher)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 07:09:02 +0000

Your bug report

#28329: 25.2; Eshell: 40M+ output: Stack overflow in regexp matcher

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28329: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28329
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28329: 25.2; Eshell: 40M+ output: Stack overflow in regexp matcher
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>, Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 09:07:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> Sorry, I should have updated this thread.
> So I never got around reproducing the issue with Gentoo, and soon after
> I dropped Gentoo and moved to Guix, with which I've never been able to
> re-experience this issue, even on massive Eshell buffers (couple of 10M...).

Thank you for your reply.

> As far as I'm concerned, this could be closed, but maybe another Gentoo
> user out there would be able to tell us more.

OK, now closed.  If anyone else runs into any issues, they can always
open a new bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 25.2; Eshell: 40M+ output: Stack overflow in regexp matcher
From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 10:34:55 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Today I update my Gentoo:

	> emerge --update --newuse --deep @world

in Eshell.  After a very long output (40M+), the shell started stuttering and hanging, messaging the following errors on every new line of output:

	error in process filter: eshell-watch-for-password-prompt: Stack overflow in regexp matcher
	error in process filter: Stack overflow in regexp matcher

The process became so slow it was unlikely it would ever complete, so I terminated it and had to re-run it in a *term*.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.15)
 of 2017-08-28 built on dhiov23k
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:	Gentoo Base System release 2.3

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-25.2
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-25.2/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-25 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-25
 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --without-dbus
 --without-modules --without-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --with-xml2 --without-selinux --with-gnutls
 --without-wide-int --with-zlib --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
 --with-imagemagick --with-xft --without-cairo --without-libotf
 --without-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xwidgets
 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-25.2 'CFLAGS=-march=ivybridge -O2
 -pipe' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix