Subject: bug#2832: FW: 23.0.92; bad interaction between M-x man and mouse-sel-mode

From: "Marshall, Simon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:51:12 +0100

duh.  i sent this to pretesters not pretesters-bug.  sorry about that.

________________________________

From: Marshall, Simon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 31 March 2009 10:38
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.0.92; bad interaction between M-x man and mouse-sel-mode

23.0.92 builds fine on: 

In GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, Motif Version 2.1.0) 
 of 2009-03-31 on risksun2 
Windowing system distributor `Hummingbird Ltd.', version 11.0.100015 
configured using `configure
'--x-includes=/usr/openwin/include:/usr/dt/include:/usr/local/include:/u
sr/local/X11/include'
'--x-libraries=/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/X1
1/lib' '--with-x-toolkit=motif' '--with-jpeg=no' '--with-gif=no'
'--with-tiff=no''

Important settings: 
  value of $LC_ALL: nil 
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil 
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil 
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil 
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil 
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil 
  value of $LC_TIME: nil 
  value of $LANG: C 
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil 
  locale-coding-system: nil 
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t 

However, there is a bad interaction between M-x man and mouse-sel-mode.
This is not new; it's just the first chance I've had to isolate it.  Do:

emacs -Q 
M-x man RET sh RET C-x 0 

To get the sh(1) man page up.  Scroll down to SEE ALSO and NOTES section
and move point to bol of a line in the NOTES section, eg, of the line
beginning "Words" below:

SEE ALSO 
     intro(1), bc(1),  echo(1),  getoptcvt(1),  kill(1),  ksh(1), 
[blah blah blah] 

NOTES 
     Words used for filenames in input/output redirection are not 
     interpreted   for   filename   generation   (see  File  Name 

Now do mouse-1 on an entry in the SEE ALSO section, eg, intro(1).  I see
a new window with selection showing the intro(1) man page (and point has
moved in the sh(1) man page window to the intro(1) entry).  Fine so far.

Now move point in the sh(1) man page window back to bol in the NOTES
sections as before.  Do M-x mouse-sel-mode RET and repeat the mouse-1 on
an entry in the SEE ALSO section, eg, intro(1).  I see an error in the
echo area:

error in process sentinel: No manual entry for Words. 

It seems mouse-sel-mode has commandeered mouse-1 in some way.  The
tooltip I see when I hover over an entry in the SEE ALSO section, eg,
intro(1), has not changed however.

Simon. 

"Misys" is the trade name for Misys plc (registered in England and Wales). Registration Number: 01360027. Registered office: One Kingdom Street, London W2 6BL, United Kingdom. For a list of Misys group operating companies please go to http://www.misys.com/corp/About_Us/misys_operating_companies.html. This email and any attachments have been scanned for known viruses using multiple scanners. This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the named recipient of this email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. This email does not constitute the commencement of legal relations between you and Misys plc. Please refer to the executed contract between you and the relevant member of the Misys group for the identity of the contracting party with which you are dealing.