Subject: bug#28310: guix build -n misses package builds

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 22:13:32 +0200

Hi,

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2017 at 01:08:12AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> “-n” now implies “--no-grafts” (commit
>> fd59105c49965db956fac73c68d8b00d068f5d5c).  This was motivated by the
>> need to have -n really perform a dry run.
>
> if I understand your answer correctly, then no output with "-n" means that
> the ungrafted packages are already available in my store.

Exactly.

>> The downside is that with -n we now see only half of the build plan, and
>> when we remove -n, we start with the other half of the build plan,
>> grafting.
>
> Then this other half would just be grafting, which would not require to
> download source and build packages locally.

Grafting usually means downloading/building the replacements first, and
finally performing the actual graft.

I agree it makes it harder to follow from a user viewpoint.

Cheers,
Ludo’.