Subject: Re: bug#28308: Build failure on FreeBSD/aarch64

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 14:52:32 -0400

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Gergely Czuczy
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> By the way, do you know about the status of Emacs on FreeBSD x86? It
>> seems to me that the problem and solution are not specific to aarch64.
>
> On x86 (as in 32 bit terms), I don't really know. All my systems are amd64
> ones, and on that one, it runs fine. However, I haven't checked the
> development branch, just the release. That works fine.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean 32 bit specifically. Actually, reading the OP
of #24892 again, it sounds like sbrk is only removed from arm, so I
guess x86/amd64 would still have it, and could therefore use the
gmalloc-only scheme successfully.

> But if that's any help, I can give it a shot tomorrow on amd64 as well, and
> see how it goes.

If you can check my patch on amd64 as well it would be good. Although
perhaps I should change the patch to only switch to hybrid malloc if
sbrk is missing, to avoid changing working platforms, at least for
emacs-26.

> Regarding the patch, I should apply it to the latest checkout, right?

Yes, the latest emacs-26. I've only tested on top of 35c893ddaf as I
haven't worked out how to update the VM, but I don't think anything
has changed in that area recently so there should be no problem
applying it to more recent checkouts.