Subject: bug#28307: closed (Re: bug#28307: 23.4; emacs (23) menu bar fails to display choices on Mac OSX Sierra)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 02:30:03 +0000

Your bug report

#28307: 23.4; emacs (23) menu bar fails to display choices on Mac OSX Sierra

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28307: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28307
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28307: 23.4; emacs (23) menu bar fails to display choices on Mac OSX Sierra
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: Gary Mamon <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 04:28:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 28307 + wontfix
quit

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Gary Mamon wrote:
>
>> I'd rather not upgrade to version 24 or 25, because I had noticed that
>> version 24 does not handle correctly the syntax rules in the language in
>> which I program (sm, aka SuperMongo).
>
> I imagine it's much easier to make your SuperMongo mode work in a
> modern Emacs, than to make an ancient Emacs work on the latest OS X.

I assume that we are not going to go back and release a new version of
Emacs 23 at this point, so I'm closing this as wontfix.

Gary: I suggest you update your code to work on a more recent Emacs, if
you haven't already.

Thanks,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 23.4; emacs (23) menu bar fails to display choices on Mac OSX Sierra
From: Gary Mamon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 18:19:55 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I upgraded to Mac OSX Sierra this week, and I just noticed that the
menu bar items fails to open with GNU Emacs 23.4 (9.0), except for the
apple menu and the menu of the app itself (the Help menu displays a simple
search box [this may be normal]). 

For example, in Emacs, menu items File and Edit do not open. This is
the case for all files I edit, and occurs even when I move elsewhere my
.emacs initialization file before opening emacs (with "open -a emacs”
from the Terminal). The other apps on the Mac do not suffer from this problem.

Is there any way to restore the menu bar functionality in GNU Emacs 23? 

I'd rather not upgrade to version 24 or 25, because I had noticed that
version 24 does not handle correctly the syntax rules in the language in
which I program (sm, aka SuperMongo).

	thanks

	Gary Mamon

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2012-01-29 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1504
configured using `configure  '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <escape> x e m 
a c s - b SPC <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> b u g <tab> <tab> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e p o r <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug help-mode view tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns
multi-tty emacs)