Subject: bug#2830: 23.0.91; Private use area

From: Jonathan Coxhead <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:04:19 -0700

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing 
list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

(Not sure if this is a bug or a feature request.)

I have a file with characters from the Private Use Area of Unicode. I 
also have
a font, Code2000, "http://code2000.net/CODE2000.ZIP" which has the 
characters in
it. But emacs shows me squares instead of the characters. (Notepad can 
display
it.)

Here are a few lines from my file:

s/b//g; # umbar
s/c//g; # quesse
s/d//g; # ando
s/f//g; # formen
s/g//g; # ungwe

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
`bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
c:/pf/emacs-23.0.91/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2009-02-26 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: nil
value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
value of $LC_TIME: nil
value of $LANG: ENU
value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
locale-coding-system: cp1252
default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Perl

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
global-auto-composition-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f ~ / b i n / c i r t h . p l <return> <S-down-mouse-1>
C-l <down-mouse-3> <mouse-3> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
C-x C-f u n c i a l . p l <return> M-> <S-down-mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <options>
<menu-set-font> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-x C-f v i
r t h <M-left> <delete> c <right> <right> <right> <right>
. p l <return> M-M M-< M-M M-< M-> M-< C-x C-f t e
n g w a r . <tab> p l <return> <next> <next> <next>
<next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next>
<next> M-< <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <right> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <down> <down> <down>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <se
nd-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading faces...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Buffer-Face mode enabled
Mark set
mouse-appearance-menu: Invalid font object
Mark set [6 times]
Making completion list...
call-interactively: End of buffer
Mark set