Subject: scan-error for keyboard macro

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 09:06:19 +0200

The following piece of code was generated with insert-kbd-macro

(fset 'foo
   [?\C-[ ?f ?\C-[ ?  ?\C-[ ?b ?\C-[ ?w ?\C-x ?o ?\C-x ?\C-v left left ?\C-@ ?\C-r ?/ ?\C-m ?\C-w ?/ ?\C-y ?\C-[ ?y ?\C-m ?\C-x ?o])

If you put it into a file and load the file, the macro is available.
If you put point at the end of the macro definition and execute
C-x C-e (eval-last-sexp) this does not allow you to load the macro
(though eval-last-sexp doesn't throw an error, in the end the
macro foo is not available). If you put point inside the macro
definition and type C-M-x (eval-defun) it throws the error

(scan-error "Unbalanced parentheses" 1 145)

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2008-03-27 on tfkp07
configured using `configure  '--with-x''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.iso885915
  locale-coding-system: iso-8859-15
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: nil